Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Cube of Resistance

Sounds rather mystical! Haha. Well, this question is a really popular question, and it appears in this Physics textbook by Resnick and Halliday and well, in many other textbooks and publications. But I first heard of this problem from my SCONE senior Shaun Lin, who in turn heard it from his classmate Guoliang, so I shall credit this post to Guoliang (a.k.a. Chewie!).

Envision a cube of resistors as below, where there are twelve resistors, all of the same resistance value:


Please find the resistance between points A and H (Oh yes, I took the above figure from this PDF file at www.radioelectronicschool.net, because I couldn't really be bothered to draw so much anymore, it's killing my eyes and finger dexterity, haha.)

There's more than one way of doing it, but personally, I prefer one method over the other. So... I shall just leave this here while I go for lunch. You can go figure!

No comments: